History of the Parish
Our present church building was erected in 1878 following a short journey from the old building which was situated just inside the existing boundary line close to the Golden Lion Pub. The tower was not added until 1903. Further details and history of the church and of Rainford itself can be found by clicking the below link;
From the proceeds of our celebrations for our Church’s centenary in 1979 it was decided to help build a church in the village of Othakadai, South India. Othakadai is an urban village with a population of about 3000 set in paddy fields and is situated about 10 km east of Madurai City. It also has a business centre, a government High School and a small hospital. 90% of the population are Hindus and the rest are Muslims and Christians. We provided the £4000 needed to build the church. (Interestingly, £4000 was also the amount it cost to build Rainford Church 100 years previously.) The Church building was dedicated on 15th. August 1979 by the Rt. Rev. Dr. D. Pothirajulu, Bishop in Maduai and Ramnad Diocese. Over the intervening years we have made a number of other donations to help the church develop the site – building a security wall, sexton’s house, a bell tower and the rebuilding of their school, as well as supporting their Christian mission in Othakadai and the surrounding areas. At the time of their Silver Jubilee celebrations the Church was renamed: “The Church of South India, All Saints Church in Othakadai”
The Rev. S. Jothinayagan
As part of our Millennium celebrations we sponsored a Pastor from the Church of South India to come to England for a six month UK Experience Programme and Mission Studies based at the United College of the Ascension in Birmingham. He became known as Jothi – “Rainford’s Millennium Baby”. He spent about three months at College and three months in different parts of the country experiencing church life in England. In between he made a number of visits to Rainford where he became very popular with his infectious smile and sense of humour.